[cvsnt] Re: Another newbie question: numeric ip address

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Nov 2 20:57:13 GMT 2004

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 10:53:01 -0800, "david.arendash at manyone.net"
<david.arendash at manyone.net> wrote:

>So I finally got CVSNT + Tortoise working for me on my LAN,
>where I can specify the computer's name as the server name,
>ex: :sspi:CVSserver:/cvsnt/archive
>
>and connect, since I have the same user/password on both client
>and server.
>
>Now I want to access remotely. I opened ports 2401 and 2402 in my
>firewall to that servermachine. I can obtain the mostly-static IP
>address. But when I go remote, I only know (for example):
>
>:sspi:123.321.255.64:/cvsnt/archive
>
>In other words, no domain or machine name.
>
>Suggestions? Would a different protocol work? I tried ext and sspi
>and pserver, they all fail, generally saying 'server actively rejected
>access'

Simple,
1) when you "open" ports on the firewall you *only* open 2401! 2402 is
a locally accessed port used by the lockserver service and called by
the CVSNT *server*. It is never needed outside of the actual server
machine.

2) In the firewall you must set the forwarding PC for packets arriving
on 2401 to the internal CVS server PC.

3) On the client side I always do the following:
- Edit the hosts file (windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts)
- Add an entry like this:
123.321.255.64  RemoteCVSServer

4) When using CVS from outside the local network you specify the
connection string like this:
  :sspi:user at RemoteCVSServer:/cvsnt/archive
then you start out (once only) with:
cvs login
enter your password twice and you are ready to go.

5) Now you can use the string
:sspi:user at RemoteCVSServer:/cvsnt/archive
in any cvs command you like and it will get you through the firewall
just fine.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)