[cvsnt] Can you specify cvslockd to run on port 2404 in :local: mode?

Mike Wake mike.wake at thales-tts.com
Wed Nov 10 12:18:07 GMT 2004

Hi All/Tony,

I am trying to test the latest server v2.058d for the purposes of
testing the new ACL functionality on my linux machine whilst still
running v2.0.51b.

I am taking the following precautions to keep them apart.

I configured the new source using
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/src/test
make
make install

In /etc/services i have
cvspserver      2401/tcp # CVS client/server operations
cvspserver      2401/udp # CVS client/server operations
test_cvspserver 2403/tcp # CVS client/server test operations
test_cvspserver 2403/udp # CVS client/server test operations

My existing v2.0.51b is configured to run as /etc/xinet.d/cvs
service cvspserver
{
         disable        = no
         socket_type    = stream
         wait           = no
         user           = root
         group          = root
         log_type       = FILE /var/log/cvspserver
         env            = 'HOME=/home/cvsuser/CVSREPOS'
         passenv        = PATH
         server         = /usr/local/bin/cvs
         server_args    = pserver
}

To test v2.0.58d to play around with the new ACL stuff to see if some of
the issues I am having have been resolved as well as not running the
server as root, I am using
/etc/xinet.d/cvs_test
service test_cvspserver
{
         disable        = no
         socket_type    = stream
         wait           = no
         user           = cvsuser
         group          = CVS_Access
         log_type       = FILE /var/log/test_cvspserver
         env            = 'HOME=/home/test/CVSREPOS'
         passenv        = PATH
         port           = 2403
         server         = /usr/local/src/test/bin/cvs
         server_args    = authserver
}

/var/log/test_cvspserver contains the lines
Repository0=/home/test/CVSREPOS/Test
Repository0Name=/Test
LockServer=localhost:2404
WinbindWrapper=/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp

I am trying to initialise the new repository with
/usr/local/src/test/bin/cvs -d :local:/home/test/CVSREPOS/Test init

And I get the message
cvs [init aborted]: Invalid Lockserver version - got 2.0, wanted 2.1

Which I take means that the new lockserver needs to be running.
So I start it using
/usr/local/src/test/bin/cvslockd -p 2404 &

How do I/Is it possible to specify that my "cvs init" should use port
2404 as the lock server rather than the default 2402 which is running
cvslockd from v2.0.58b.

Or should I just trust that the new cvslockd supports 2.0 and 2.1 and
just run the new one on port 2402

Cheers
Mikew