[cvsnt] Re: Modules and Shared Libraries - tagging strategy?

Jurko Gospodnetic mangled at to.avoid.spam
Fri Nov 12 09:26:31 GMT 2004

  Hi.

>>We also used this approach previously, but have found that
>>using "cvs import" is a superior solution - after all, cvs import
>>was designed for tracking third-party sources.
>>

> No, you don't understand the situation!!
> There are no 3rd party sources involved at all. Instead we
> have many projects that use common functionality, which we
> have stored in a "Common" repository. We have utility
> functions and we have common database classes and things
> like that.

  Actually I use the import command as well and it seems to be
the tidiest solution I have tried. I just maintain the shared code
as a separate library project (which can then contain its own test
cases and development projects) and import it into other
projects that need it.

  That way each project that needs it gets its own copy - which,
after some consideration, I have come to consider a 'good
thing'. You usually do not need to modify the 'shared code' and
if you do you most likely do not have the time to test it on all of
the projects that share it so you do in on a single project. After
the change has been completed there you integrate it into the
separate shared project - possibly setting up better test cases.
Now you just make a new release of the shared project and
reimport it into whatever project needs it, if it needs it :-).

  On the other hand, I have many old research/testing/
/proof-of-concept projects that use my shared code but which
I do not want to waste time on keeping compileable in face of
externally changing code so I never reimport their shared
library code. The number of such quick projects raises
daily :-).

  All in all, not much slower than directly sharing the same code
if not many projects share the code, faster if there are many such
projects but most of all - definitively much much more robust.

  Just my 2c worth...

  Best regards,
    Jurko