[cvsnt] Re: Modules and Shared Libraries - tagging strategy?

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Fri Nov 12 09:42:55 GMT 2004

OK,
can you then explain how using import can make it possible for the developers
to update the common code and commit it to the original location???

To do what you propse means the following operations (correct me if wrong):

1. cvs export the common files you need for the new project into a folder
   in the new project sandbox.

2. cvs import these folders and specify the location to be a part of the
   new project module (a submodule).

With these operations the common sources are effectively disconnected from the
new module and what you have accomplished is to create a duplicate of the common
code inside the new project.
If someone else using the common code finds and corrects a bug and commits his
changes it will not be reflected in your project, nor will it be committed to
the original common folder. Thus noone else will benefit from the bugfix...

I still think using import is not appliable in this circumstance.

/Bo