[cvsnt] Latest updates

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Nov 12 23:01:27 GMT 2004

Jerzy Kaczorowski wrote:
> I don't see how nearly 1MB difference (increase by 50% from 2M to 3M) is a
> minor difference. Additionally I don't like installers to screw up my dlls,
> and in case of MSI (which is not only buggy but also both stupid and ugly)
> it means that the latest CVSNT is not allowed on my work PC.

3M is nothing for an installer these days, really...

MSI doesn't screw up anything - it's built into the OS and has very
specific rules about what can be installed where.  It has some major
limitations (sucks pretty hard in some places actually) but does in fact
work.

If you don't allow MSI on your machine how do you use python?

> While we are at it -  I would really like to also have a client-only
> installer which contains cvs.exe that doesn't have the server-specific code
> in it. It should be much smaller that way and I think it would not have MFC
> dependency since most of MFC is involved in server support code I guess.

It's easy enough to create one...  the source for the installers is
there, or you can just edit the MSI directly with orca.

> On another note - latest cvs.exe is crashing on me like hell, can't get it
> to even display version or anything. No problem with 51d or any other
> previous version.

Just send the crashdump (or let it send it automatically).  Almost
nothing has changed, really, except some backend stuff for file
access... seems pretty stable at the moment.