[cvsnt] Re: Unicode Filenames from linux cvs server are transfered as ANSI to Windows

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Nov 14 22:40:07 GMT 2004

Dietrich Schmidt wrote:
> Hm, I did it - but it does not work :-(
>
> I installed cvsnt-2.0.58d.exe, which works fine but does not translate
> locales in the filename:
>
> Unicode filename with umlaute on server gives (using cmd.exe)
>
> C:\cvsroot>cvs -o update Playground
> cvs update: Updating Playground
> cvs update: warning: Playground/FromPutty+¦+ñ+++û+ä+£+f.txt was lost
> U Playground/FromPutty+¦+ñ+++û+ä+£+f.txt

If you've previously had corrupted names that's just it fixing itself.

> C:\cvsroot>cvs -o update Playground
> cvs update: Updating Playground
> cvs update: warning: Playground/Umlaute??÷????.txt was lost
> U Playground/Umlaute??÷????.txt
>
> which is displayed correctly on Windows but as garbage on Linux.
> Why are the Umlaute scrambled in cmd.exe?

Not sure what you mean there - you just updated it in Windows and it
displays correctly...   Linux is irrelevant at that point (presumably
the RCS files have the correct names, if they don't then you should
either rename them manually on the server, or delete and re-add them).

cmd.exe sometimes doesn't handle ansi properly.  Look at it in Explorer
and it'll be fine (seems to be random, and is a cmd.exe bug I think).

> So I would like to know which settings are responsible to determine
> the locales on both machines.

It's irrelevant really (provided the characters are common to both
machines - you'll get an error if not)...  as long as both client and
server are on 2.0.58 then things should work.

As a test you can try checking out the 2_0_x branch of the cvsnt
repository - there's a file in the root that has umlauts in it, which
will only come out correctly on 2.0.58 with -o (or 2.0.6x when working).