[cvsnt] Cannot RTag using 2.0.51d because lockserver only listens locally???

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Nov 18 12:12:39 GMT 2004

I recently upgraded our CVSNT server from 2.0.7 to 2.0.51d and now I've
stumbled over something odd. Whenever I try to use rtag from a client
machine I get:

cvs [rtag aborted]: Error communicating with lock server (send)

What's this? I thought only the server itself would try to contact the
lockserver (and if it was the server that emitted this message it would
have said "cvs server" at the beginning, wouldn't it?). On the server
the configuration is set to only listen locally and the binding is
consequently for localhost:2402 (i.e. the installation defaults).
CVSROOT/config contains "LockServer=localhost:2402".

AFAICT all other commands work just fine. It's only rtag that spits out
this error...

Unfortunately I do not have direct access to the server machine so if
necessary I would first have to ask our admin to make any changes and
he's rather stressed already today. Thus I'd like to understand as much
as possible about this issue beforehands. Does the client end of rtag
really try to talk to the lockserver directly? Would I have to uncheck
the "listen locally" option or somehow edit CVSROOT/config to make it
work again? What would be possible implications?

Oh yes, connection is via :sspi: in a closed LAN environment. CVSNT is
running on the domain/AD server, which is a W2K Server (don't know
about SP, but IIRC it's not SP4 yet). Client machines are W2K Pro SP4
running CVSNT 2.0.51d.

Cheers,

--
Oliver