[cvsnt] CVS slower after upgrade...

nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com
Tue Nov 23 03:25:57 GMT 2004

Hi all,

We have recently upgraded from CVSNT Server 1.11.13 (Build 70) to 2.0.58d -
running on Win2k Sever

Since the upgrade of the server, its been noticed by most people that its
much slower - esp for updates.
This is using TortoiseCVS (cvsnt) and Eclipse and Intellij. Client type
doesnt seem to make a difference...
We only ever use pserver.

Now the older version was never lightning fast (cvsnt seems to use a *lot*
of CPU on win2k - even with AV software off)

I have seen some suggestions that reverse DNS may be the problem
"If reverse DNS is not working properly then CVS slows to a crawl..."

I am not sure how slow a "crawl" is in this context. But for us it is
slow...

For one of our repos, here are some stats;
4 mins for checkout
3 mins for update
Repo is 28.9Meg - 2000ish files..
We have 100Mb network (takes ~1 minute to copy 300meg zip file)

More details (all I can think of that are pertinent):
1) Checkouts seem to start immediately - so does that eliminate the reverse
DNS possibility?
2) There seem to be extra long pauses at the *end* of a checkout - around
10-20 seconds or so (difficult to tell if it also exists with update) .
3) Watching the checkout progress in tortoise, it seems that it pauses for
extended periods of time for no apparrent reason (its not due to a large
file).
4) There are no other users at the time of the tests - only 4 cruisecontrol
instances doing an update it every 60 seconds. The CruiseControl instances
seem to generate 40% cpu... there seem to be almost always at least 2
cvs.exe processes on the server. Not sure whether this contention is the
cause
5) CPU (dual-proc P3) never seens to saturate at any point during update or
checkout
6) We have about 18 repositories in total - though not sure this has any
bearing
7) Server seems to have a lot of free RAM - its got 2G total - seems to
have 1G physical free
8) The CVS server Temp directory is on the same physical disk as the
repository(ies)
9) The temp directory contains 30,000 files! 11MB, but 130Mb on disk!
10) "Run As User" is set to "client user"
11) Encryption and compression are optional

I am wondering if its due to the different locking in CVSNT 2.x? Or is this
just a stab in the dark?

Any pointers?
Things to investigate?
Anything to try out?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
-Nick

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority.