[cvsnt] Import generates conflict messages, why???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Nov 23 23:41:41 GMT 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:24:14 +0100, "Oliver Giesen" <ogware at gmx.net>
wrote:

>> 4th observation:
>> If I try to update the sandbox to one of the release tags or to the
>> branch tag I invariably get this response from cvs:
>>
>> cvs -z9 update -P -r Version3 (in directory
>> F:\Engineering\Projects\Antares\PC\ImpTest\)
>> cvs [server aborted]: no such tag Version3
>
>Hmm, that's wrong. It works for me and always has. It would indeed be
>pointless if it didn't.
>There must be something else that's gone wrong...
>Are you sure you're in the right directory? Silly question I know... just
>ruling out possiblities...

Well, after all of my 4 imports I went to another place and checked
out the module ImpTest and got all the files that were imported. But
since the checkout retrieved the head of the vendor branch and I had
removed file1 and added file5 at the 3rd import I expected the branch
head to contain only files 2..5, but in fact all files came out.

The updates I did to retrieve the tags were done both via WinCvs and
on the command line with the same error result.
Here is the result of cvs ver:
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.51 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.38 (client/server)

(Yes my test server needs an update, but since it is also the one
where I keep all of my "opensource" stuff like CVSMailer and the
ViewCvs installer I don't want to mess too much with it.)

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)