[cvsnt] Re: CVS slower after upgrade...

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Nov 24 01:26:13 GMT 2004

nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com wrote:
> 4) There are no other users at the time of the tests - only 4 cruisecontrol
> instances doing an update it every 60 seconds. The CruiseControl instances
> seem to generate 40% cpu... there seem to be almost always at least 2
> cvs.exe processes on the server. Not sure whether this contention is the
> cause

WTF???  4 full updates every 60 seconds? That'll be murdering your
performance.

You'll be getting a high chance of locking delays which is why your
checkouts are so slow. - they've got to wait for some time when those
processes haven't locked the tree, which will be almost never.

Plus you're using up all the CPU all the time so no processing gets done...

Slow them down to a couple of times an hour.  I wouldn't even attempt an
update schedule like that more than every 15 minutes.

Make sure you're using lockserver which will reduce the locking hits
(that's not a cure though).