[cvsnt] How to convert binary files to text?

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Nov 25 12:20:21 GMT 2004

We have a number of Delphi form files (*.dfm) that have been originally
stored in CVS as binary. Now they have been converted to text by Delphi
but they are still binary in CVS and we want to change this so that the
files can be diffed etc.

So the files themselves are OK in the repository as binary representations
of Windows text files, the line endings inside these files are CRLF and
this is also stored as such in the RCS files since they are marked binary.

I tried to issue the following command to tell CVS that the files are text:

cvs admin -kt <filename>

But when I now check out the file it has CRCRLF line endings even though no
actual change was done on the file itself (same revision number etc).

So clearly I am doing something wrong here, but what?

I could save the day by cvs admin -kb <filename>, this cleared the previous
command.

By the way the command I used seems to affect *all* revisions of the file
even those that existed before the actual change. I expected the command to
have the effect that the text type would be used from this revision onwards
but that turned out to not be the case...

Is there another command to use in order to change the file type?

Best regards,

Bo Berglund