[cvsnt] cvsnt Vs cvs : Performance!

nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com nick.minutello at uk.bnpparibas.com
Sat Nov 27 18:26:21 GMT 2004

Crikey.

I have just dome some basic comparisons between cvs and cvsnt on linux and
there is quite a large gap. I have no idea what the source of the gap would
be - but maybe there are some suggestions here?

Update performance for cvsnt is quite a lot worse than cvs - but more
importantly the cpu utilisation is terrible by comparison.

The comparison was on an old single-cpu PIII xeon. I compared
cvs-1.11.17-1.i386.rpm and cvsnt-2.0.51d-1.i386.rpm.

Checkout pef was about the same - 2.5 mins for a large module. cvs hardly
showed up on top - peaking at 6or 7% cpu... cvsnt hit around 20%.
However, update perf was *wildly* different.
cvs took 6 sec, cvsnt took 15 sec. However on the cpu stakes, cvs used
about 4-8% whereas cvsnt hit 75% at some point - and a lot of time at 50%!!

We have seen similarly high cpu utlisation with cvsnt on windows (we are
moving from windows to linux).

Is there something that cvsnt does that would account for this difference?

Thanks.
-Nick

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in the
United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority.