[cvsnt] Synchronizing two CVS servers

mada no.spam at no.spam.org
Mon Nov 29 16:44:27 GMT 2004

Hello all

If this is the wrong plave for a newbie question please forgive me and
ignore it

I am quite new to cvs, have only used it (cvsnt specifically) for version
control from within Borland's JBuilder (which has generated many problems)
and by command line for maintenance of some simple projects with few files.
My question has to do with whether a fairly more complex scenario is
possible with CVS.

I am a PhD student and have a very large directory under which there are
mostly binary files (ranging from .pdf and .ps to .bmp and .mp3, I am not
interested in executables of any kind). I want to be able to do the
following:

1. checkin the entire directory in several cvs modules and erase the local
files
2. at the office, when I need to work on something, checkout its respective
module, work, commit, update and finally checkin.
3. at home, when I need to work on something, login online to the cvs server
at work, checkout the module I want to work on, work, commit, update and
finally checkin.

So far so good, I know how to do all this but please correct me if I am
wrong about anything, a process, terminology, whatever.

Now comes the part that troubles me.

Suppose there is no network connection available, or that the data to be
exchanged between the cvs server at work and a client at home is too much to
exchange over the phone (I live in Greece, decent internet is an unknown
term here). So I was thinking about setting up a second cvs server at home,
always connect locally to each server either at work or at home, at have the
two servers exchange only the "differences" between their repositories,
only. Is something like that possible?

As a worst-case solution, I would be satisfied if I was able to copy all the
checked-out modules from work to home, have them permanently checked-out
there, and only perform updates and commits online, which, as far as I
understand, do not require large data exchange. Is this possible?

Do you see any better solution for such a scenario?

Thanks a lot and pardon me for my english, my terminology, and possibly for
my asking something totally irrelevant to the topic.

Cheers