[cvsnt] Re: cvs -ls flakiness [third try]

rfplctu02 at sneakemail.com rfplctu02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:57:39 GMT 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> rfplctu02 at sneakemail.com wrote:
> > One more try for this question:
> >
> > Every once in a while, "cvs -ls" returns nothing, or only a
> > single module.  It was suggested that this might be because
> > somebody else was interacting with the repository at the
> > time, but I've seen it happen when I'm the only one using
> > it.
> >
> > I'm using version 2.0.51 (on the client and server side).
> > I'm using pserver authentication.  The client is running on
> > Windows XP Pro SP2, and the server is Windows 2000.
> >
> > Is this a known issue that has since been fixed, or is
> > anyone else seeing this?
> >
> As far as I know nobody has seen anything like this...  I'd have
> expected WinCVS to see a problem like that first as it uses ls for its
> repository browsing (and there are far more WinCVS user than
> pure cvsnt
> users).
>
> Can you repeat it by repeatedly typing 'cvs ls' on the
> command line, or
> is it script related?

This is actually now running on a Windows 2003 server.
It still exhibits the same behavior.

I've seen it happen on the command line, but it is pretty
difficult to reproduce it that way.  I just tried it
about 50 times by hand and couldn't get it to happen.

It seems to happen more often with my automated build.  It
is more pronounced when I'm building my automated build
tool itself.  There are automated tests of the CVS part of
the application that hit the server pretty hard.  This is
all done from by exec'ing the CVSNT cvs command from Java.
Note, however, that it doesn't try to do any CVS operations
concurrently.  I figured that would be asking for trouble.
I'd guess the "ls" problem happens once every 30 runs.

Even during the automated tests, it still only does "cvs ls"
maybe once or twice, so I'm guessing that it might be the
fact that it is doing other operations in rapid succession
before and after this.

I'd tried writing my tool using a couple of the Java CVS
libraries but they failed miserably when subjected to
automated tests.  CVSNT seems to be much more reliable
as a client.

Terry Lacy                      "It is better to light a
Systems Analyst                  flamethrower than curse the
SL County IS                     darkness."
                                     Terry Pratchett