FW: [cvsnt] Re: Regresssion and branches in the current sand box?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Oct 1 21:49:30 BST 2004

Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> Is it necessary to checkout a second sandbox for the trunk (as recommended
> in the OReilly book) so I can add revisions to both the branch and the trunk
> without merging them or replacing one with the other?
>
> Apparently, if you want to merge or override changes immediately, one can
> use the update command. It seems that both the -j and the -r for the update
> command want to merge changes all the time.
>
> I want to keep the trunk and branches separate for a few revisions before I
> merge them. Is it possible to do this with a single sandbox? I suspect not.

It depends on how you want to work with them.  Both at the same time?
One at a time?

Personally I have one sandbox for my "current prod" (e.g. stable, might
get small patches) and one for "HEAD" (development).  When I get my dev
stabilized and am ready to post it to production, I can delete my old
"prod" sandbox.  When I have to fix something in production, I fix it on
the prod branch and merge the change into DEV once it's complete and
tested (typically about the same time it hits production).

Working from a single sandbox works too.  It's especially useful when
you have a large number of files that are the same or very large sandbox
that you don't want 2 copies of.

CVS is very flexible... use it however it works for you...

--
Glen Starrett