[cvsnt] Re: Old repository haunts me!

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Oct 4 18:29:28 BST 2004

> I previously had a repository called c:/CVSROOT_SermonClips. I probably
had
> CVSROOT defined to point to this.
>
> I have since deleted that repository and created a new repository called
> C:/CVSSermonClips and I have populated it using the import command.
>
> I start up a new DOS session and type SET CVSROOT and it says CVSROOT not
> defined. Good!
>
> I type SET CVSROOT=:pserver:siegfried at 127.0.0.1/CVSSermonClips
>
> Now I type CVS login and it comes back and says
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\SIEGFR~1\MYDOCU~1\SERMON~1.COM>cvs login
>
> Logging in to :pserver:siegfried at 127.0.0.1:2401:/CVSROOT_SermonClips
>
> CVS password:
>
> Arghhh! Where is it getting that old repository name? It no longer exists
in
> the service control panel.
>
> I can login if I use cvs -d :pserver:siegfried at 127.0.0.1/CVSSermonClips.
> However, emacs needs to use CVSROOT.
>
> Somewhere, the cvs client has cached that CVSROOT for me and I need to
flush
> it! How do I flush that cache?

It's stored in the hidden "CVS" subdirectories of your existing sandbox,
more specifically inside the File therein called "Root". Unless you use
the -d option the CVSROOT that's stored there always has precedence over any
other method of specifying a CVSROOT. Even -d only overrides ./CVS/Root for
some commands, namely those that do not _require_ a sandbox (e.g. login,
checkout, import, rtag, rlog, etc.).

What you have to do in order to use an existing sandbox with a new CVSROOT
is to change the contents of the ./CVS/Root files. See here for details:
http://cvsgui.sf.net/newfaq.htm#change_cvsroot

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver