[cvsnt] Re: 2.0.58 Run As Option

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Oct 5 00:50:26 BST 2004

capaverde at 3ia.com.br wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm having some troubles using CVSNT 2.0.58, that I just installed.
> If I leave the new option, "Run as user" with the default value,
> i.e. "(client user)", everything works fine.
> If I select a local user, cvs client complains that the user doesn't
> exists (I had selected it from the drop down list found in the CVS's
> control panel applet and I'm sure, it's there).
>
> D:\Arquiv~1\GNU\WinCvs~1.3\Cvsnt>cvs95 -d :sspi:n992:/cvsroot ls
> Fatal error, aborting.
> CVS95 [ls aborted]: N992\cvs999: no such user

The user is unknown to the system... cvs is just reporting the error
that comes back.  It sounds like your domain is setup strangely - it's
letting users who aren't a member of the domain connect via sspi or
something... that's way beyond anything I can help with (my expertise in
that stops at disabling simple file sharing and disabling guest).

> If I select a domain user (my server is a win2003 server machine attached
> to our enterprise network) the complaint is that the repository doesn't
> exists (remember, I acessed it a few minutes ago when the "Run as user"
> option was "(client user)").
>
> D:\Arquiv~1\GNU\WinCvs~1.3\Cvsnt>cvs95 -d :sspi:n992:/cvsroot ls
> cvs [server aborted]: Repository directory E:/cvsroot does not exist: Permission
> denied

Is E: a network drive?  You can't put repositories on network drives -
it'll fail in various ways and isn't supported.

> [footnote: as our network have more than 2000 users, I needed to change
> the user regedit'ing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CVS\Pserver;
> the drop down list just shown the local users and a few domain ones]

The list is every active user known to the system - if they aren't being
shown then attempting to logon as them probably isn't going to work.

> So, I have two questions:
> 1. should the "run as" user be member of local administrators?

Definately not - Use a nonpriviliged guest user (I probably shouldn't
show administrators in the list at all).

> 2. can't I use a local user for "run as"?

Yes, this works fine.