[cvsnt] Re: Lock server versus old style locking

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Oct 6 09:49:26 BST 2004

Stuart Stevens wrote:
> How does recent CVSNT server decide which method of locking to use?

It'll use lockserver in preference, unless you're using local mode (in
Windows it'll start a local lockserver in that case, and in Unix it'll
fall back to old style locking).

> If we are running both CVSNT and CVS servers to access the same repository,
> how should we configure the repository so they are using the same locking
> method?

Don't do this.  All versions of CVS/CVSNT that access a repository must
be the same.  Use client/server - multiple servers accessing the same
repository (over a SAN or similar, not a network share) is OK if they
share a lockserver.

> Is there any hope that CVS will or is using the CVSNT lock server?

No.