[cvsnt] Using CVSNT with Web Development

Beaker newsgroups at beakz.net
Thu Oct 7 16:16:56 BST 2004

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm setting up a new installation of CVS for shared web development, and
only having used CVS for developing applications in C/C++ before have a
problem which I'm hoping someone will have an idea or two about.

Firstly, a bit about the system:

Window 2003 Server, running CVSNT 2.0.51d, also running IIS for development
websites. The server is running on a secure network with access to the
network over VPN for several remote developers.

At the moment the developers work directly to the development sites using
file shares, or Visual Studio.  As they're all working on different sites
(at the moment) it's not really a problem.

What we want to achieve:

Having setup CVS with a repository for all the website roots, and giving
access to the relevant developers, we want to be able to allow then to
checkout and checkin files, but also have them put into the relevant web
roots in the IIS folders so they can see them working in the development
environment.  My first thought was some kind of automation script that
triggers when a file is checked in by a user, so that it's simply copied to
the IIS root folder at the correct level.

Now I don't know if this is something CVS can handle inherently, or whether
there is a mechanism that can be fired on a CVS event, such as a checkin.

We prefer to do it this way so that there aren't lots of development sites
running on local workstations, and so that the sites are being developed in
a replica of a live environment, makes it eaiser to check that things will
work in the real world.

Any pointers, websites, hints, tricks etc that you have, please respond
directly or in reply to this post.

Regards,
Beak