[cvsnt] commitinfo exit parameters...

Richard Bordoli Richard_Bordoli at sunsystems.com
Fri Oct 8 12:45:12 BST 2004

I currently have a simple program run from CVSROOT\commitinfo that check for
the existence of a "Commits.denied" file to decide whether developers are
allowed to commit changes to our repository.

[ We use this to lockdown changes when something is broken we can fix the
build without getting too many build breaks queued up if developer's were
alloed to continue checking in... ]

We now want to run a couple of branches for different development teams...
and I would like to be able to lockdown commits on a per branch (tag)
basis.... however I have looked at the parameters passed to the commitinfo
exit and it looks like there is only 1 by default: the directory of file(s)
about to be commited with the file names available on STDIN.

Loginfo allows you to pass revision numbers and filenames to a user-supplied
exit but it looks like commitinfo does not support such parameters...  Does
anyone know how I might go about disabling commits based on a branch tag ?
If I could get hold of the filename and its current revision number I think
I know how to go about mapping the revision number back to a symbolic tag
name... but how do I get the revision number passed to my exit in the first
place ?

Any ideas ?

-Richard Bordoli.