[cvsnt] [cvsnt 2.0.58a] chacl problems

CVSNT newsgroups james.kavanagh at voxsurf.com
Thu Oct 14 15:39:20 BST 2004

Hi,

Can somebody explain to me how this works, please!!?
It appears no matter what I do I cannot lock down a branch to commits.
There are no restrictions by default, I attempt to lock down a branch with
the following command from the root dir:
cvs chacl -R -r branch1 -a read,nowrite,nocreate,notag,nocontrol

Once I have done this if I use cvs lsacl to check the permissions on the
root dir I get the following result:
Directory: .
Owner: testadmin

branch=branch1
        read
        write(deny)
        create(deny)
        tag(deny)
        control(deny)

If I then modify a file and commit it on that branch, the operation is
allowed. The owner of the dir where the file is located is not the owner
attempting to commit. The only way I seem to be able to get it to work is to
make the branch unreadable as well which sort of defeats the purpose of what
I'm trying to do.

If anyone can give me some ponters here I'd be most grateful. The manual is
not particularly verbose on this subject.

Thanks in advance,
James Kavanagh