[cvsnt] Locking Problems , WIN XP

pavan_devatha at srai.sraindia.com pavan_devatha at srai.sraindia.com
Mon Oct 25 07:17:38 BST 2004

Dear All,
         I have just switched to CVSNT from  Microsoft VSS.
I have a WinXP box on which the CVSNT server is installed.
update,commit and import works fine. But am unable to add new files to
existing modules.
           I am using the wincvs client. My CVS repository is located
c:\CVSRepository . It contains a module called Competency
Solutions.

I am including the following transcript of what happens when i try to add
a new file to module Competency Solutions.

cvs -z3 add -kb TestForAddingFiles.doc (in directory C:\Documents and
Settings\Pavan Devatha\My Documents\CompetencySolutions\)
cvs server: scheduling file `TestForAddingFiles.doc' for addition
cvs server: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently

*****CVS exited normally with code 0*****

Saved settings for C:\Documents and Settings\Pavan Devatha\My
Documents\CompetencySolutions successfully...
cvs -z3 commit -m "To test addition of files to exisiting modules\n"
TestForAddingFiles.doc (in directory C:\Documents and Settings\Pavan
Devatha\My Documents\CompetencySolutions\)
RCS file: /CVSRepository/CompetencySolutions/TestForAddingFiles.doc,v
done
Checking in TestForAddingFiles.doc;
/CVSRepository/CompetencySolutions/TestForAddingFiles.doc,v  <--
TestForAddingFiles.doc
initial revision: 1.1
cvs [server aborted]: cannot rename file
/CVSRepository/CompetencySolutions/,TestForAddingFiles.doc, to
/CVSRepository/CompetencySolutions/,TestForAddingFiles.doc,: File exists

*****CVS exited normally with code 1*****

At this point there is a file called TestForAddingfiles.doc,v file in the
repository. It is in Read Only mode. I make the file Writable and issue
the commit command again.

cvs -z3 commit -m "To test addition of files to exisiting modules\n"
TestForAddingFiles.doc (in directory C:\Documents and Settings\Pavan
Devatha\My Documents\CompetencySolutions\)
cvs server: cannot lock
`C:/CVSRepository/CompetencySolutions/TestForAddingFiles.doc,v'.

*****CVS exited normally with code 1*****

So there are two issues to contend with.
one is that to perform the commit i have manaully change the file
permissions from read only to wirtable in the cvs repository.
Secondly, The lock server is not able to lock the file to perform the commit.

I am very enthuastic to move to cvsnt and would appreciate any help for
expereinced users.

Thanks in advance
Pavan