[cvsnt] Re: Latest Updates

rrankin1424-cvsnt at yahoo.com rrankin1424-cvsnt at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 17:01:02 BST 2004

--- Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Rick Rankin wrote:
> > No joy here. 58c has the same rename problem as 58b. I see 58c attempting
> > rename the file several times, but it fails each time. I think the issue is
> in
> > the apparent assumption that this is caused by A/V software. In my case, at
> > least, this problem has absolutely nothing to do with A/V. It happens on
> all
> > files all the time on 58b and 58c, even if I completely disable my A/V
> > software. It *never* happens on 58a, even with A/V software running.
>
> It sounds like you either have a permissions problem, or something has
> the file open and is holding it open - are you sure there's nothing that
> could be doing that?

Well, I guess one can never be 100% certain. However, other than A/V software,
I can't imagine what could be holding any of the files open. I'll run some
tests again with the A/V software disabled, but I'm not hopeful.

But, let's assume for a minute that the A/V software really does turn out to be
the culprit. Permanently disabling it is not an option. The corporate police
get pretty cranky when people try to do that. Right now, I don't even have
enough control of the client to tell it to omit certain directories, even
though the server is in my domain and I'm the domain admin. What are my options
at that point?

> Some AV software will start re-reading the file after the failed rename,
> which is why retrying isn't a panacea.  Nothing has changed bettwen 58a
> and 58c with permissions other than 58c is slightly faster - which
> triggers problems with AV software.

Rick