[cvsnt] Re: Latest Updates

rrankin1424-cvsnt at yahoo.com rrankin1424-cvsnt at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 00:50:52 BST 2004

--- Tony Hoyle wrote:

> rrankin1424-cvsnt at yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hmm, I do have Cygwin installed on this server, with ntsec set in the
> Cygwin
> > environment variable. Is that the instruction you're talking about?
>
> Yes.  The CVSNT instructions recommend using ntea for this reason.
> cygwin compatibility is nice but the way it handles permissions isn't so
> nice if you're trying to lock down permissions.
>
> Most people don't have a CYGWIN environment variable so it never comes
> up (the default install doesn't set one).

OK, is this related to or causing the rename problem all of a sudden? I've been
using Cygwin with CYGWIN='...ntsec...' and CVSNT on this server for about three
years with no problems until now.

I don't care beans about permissions compatibility between Cygwin and CVSNT on
the server. That's certainly not why I set ntsec in the CYGWIN environment
variable. I've been using Cygwin far longer than CVSNT and find it convenient
to have my CYGWIN environment variable defined in the system environment. That
way I can more easily use Cygwin command from a either bash or command prompt,
from ActiveState perl scripts, etc.

Is it possible (or even relevant) to tell CVSNT to ignore the CYGWIN
environment variable? At this point, it would take a significant amount of work
to overcome the assumption that CYGWIN=ntsec is in the system environment. It
would probably be easier for me to download the CVSNT source and build a
customized version with the compatibility code commented out.

Another thought... What happens when CVSNT sees the CYGWIN environment variable
*without* ntsec? Does CVSNT actually parse the contents of CYGWIN to see if it
contains 'ntsec'? If so, will it correctly handle (and ignore) the 'smbntsec'
setting? Ntsec is now the default in Cygwin. If you want to use ntea, you have
to set it explicitly. If I can remove 'ntsec', but leave 'smbntsec', might that
help?

Rick