[cvsnt] Re: cvs [server aborted]: cannot rename file

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Oct 27 15:09:50 BST 2004

The comma is just the way CVS operates:
- It makes a copy of the original repository file
- Then operates on this file while keeping a lock on the original
- When it is done it is supposed to rename the old file to something
  for example adding a comma to the name
- Then it renames the working file back to the original file name
- If allof that succeeds then it is time to delete the renamed original.

In this process it uses nameings including commas.
But the strange message indicates that something has gone astray here
because it fails renaming a file to the same name it already has...

/Bo