[cvsnt] Stop cvsnt 'crash dump' dialog?

Pat Galea wlist at dudegalea.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 08:59:47 BST 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Peter Crowther wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, there's 'should' and there's 'does' - reality ain't
>> always that clean.  I try pretty hard to ensure that the servers I write
>> will continue to run in a lights-out environment - or, if they fail,
>> that someone is notified and life goes on.
>
> It'll keep runnning regardless - each client gets their own process.

Tony, that is exactly the problem. Each process keeps running, because
it has popped up a dialog box on the *server*, and no-one is there to
acknowledge it. The user is completely unaware that anything 'bad' has
happened. They aren't logged in to the server.

It took us a while to notice that there was even a problem. The first I
knew was that I logged in to the server one day and I had 800 (yes,
eight *hundred*) cvs.exe processes lingering, each one asking to
generate a crashdump.

Actually, that's not entirely true. The first few dialogs ask if I'd
like to generate a crashdump. After that, the remaining ones just say
something like "Failed to create crashdump".

To work around this problem I now have a daily task on my ToDo list to
log in to the server and get rid of all the dialog boxes. This
eliminates all the lingering cvs.exe processes.

FWIW I don't think the crash dumps I've got will be very useful, as
they're zero bytes long.

Regards
pg

--