[cvsnt] Re: release option of import command

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Sep 2 06:33:35 BST 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:41:56 -0700 (PDT), abhishek jaiswal
<abhi658606 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>While reading the documentation, I found that the version no. of file
>given by cvs can be 1.4, 2.5, 1.45 , 5.1 etc. Hence when you add a
>new  file its version no. will be 5.1

No, it will always be 1.1 when you add a new file.

>But when I made a project and started working on it. However I found
>that whenever I made any changes to the file and commit it, the
>version no incremented after decimal point only ( i.e form 1.9 it
>changes to 1.10 and then 1.11 and so on and never becomes 2.1 ). Thus
>I became curious regarding when and under what conditions does the
>version no. changes to 2.1

It never does unless you use a special cvs command to force the
revision to bump up. But there are cvs versions around that will fail
on this command.

>Also when we make a branch, its version no starts for 1.------ .

Actually the branch revisions are based on the revision it starts
from. So if you have a file at 1.13 and you branch it, then the next
commit will be 1.13.1.1
If you then make another branch from the same base revision this
branch will be 1.13.2.x and so the first commit gets 1.13.2.1

>Hence  can you help me to know when the version no of file changes
>form 1.-- to 2.-- or 3.-- and so on.

Only by direct cvs command on the single file can you bump the major
revision number.

Note that the revsion numbers are really not useful for anything
major, for example you cannot check out or export a project using the
revision number as a parameter. You must use a symbolic tag or a date
for that. So you should use tags instead if you want to keep track of
project file states.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)