[cvsnt] Re: release option of commit command

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Sep 2 20:29:05 BST 2004

It is *absolutely not* the case that a new file gets the revision higher
than the highest revision of an existing file! Where did you get that
from?
Every single file is managed separately from one another and when it
starts it gets revision 1.1 and all subsequent commits increments this
by one 1.1>1.2>1.3>1.4....
The history of a file including its revisions and branches are kept inside
the RCS file corresponding to the actual file. The RCS file is a special
format file kept in the repository and managed by CVS and all of the file's
past history is inside this single file.

/Bo