[cvsnt] cvs rename - Which features wil be implemented?

Johannes Kilian jok at vitronic.com
Tue Sep 7 12:53:12 BST 2004

Hi,

I just tested the rename command and it worked fine for simple renaming
tasks.

But ...

What are the "features" supported by cvs rename?

Are there plans to support something like a restructuring of the checked
out module by moving ("renaming") a file from one directory to another
(something like the mv-command from UNIX)?
That's exactly what we would need: restructuring our modules by moving
some file to another subdirectory within the module ....

I know, that's a difficult task, since cvs is only file-based and not
directory based ...

Are there plans to support "restructuring" within "cvs rename" ?

What's the simplest way to do the  task "move one file which is under
CVS to another subdirectory"? The cvs history of the file should not get
lost or have any discontinuities (something like deleting the file on
the old dir in the repo and add it again at the new dir produces
something I call "discontinuity": the re-added file does not have any
connection within cvs to the deleted file ... cvs log won't give a
complete history of the file ...)

Thanks

Johannes