[cvsnt] Re: cvs rename - Which features wil be implemented?

Johannes Kilian jok at vitronic.com
Wed Sep 8 10:48:02 BST 2004

Tony Hoyle schrieb:

> Johannes Kilian wrote:
>
>> Are there plans to support something like a restructuring of the
>> checked out module by moving ("renaming") a file from one directory
>> to another (something like the mv-command from UNIX)?
>> That's exactly what we would need: restructuring our modules by
>> moving some file to another subdirectory within the module ....
>>
> Yes.  That might even work now, although I've not tried it recently.

It doesn't with me (CVSNT 2.0.53).

Doing something like:

cvs rename test.txt ..\test.txt

does the following:
* As expected: remove the file from current dir (Sandbox)
* As expected: generate the file in the updir (..) (Sandbox)
* But: The moved file is not part of CVS anymore. I have to add and
commit it again ...
* File test.txt within the Repository also keeps unchanged ...

Esp. the add command will break the continuity of history of the file -
or doesn't it?

Addition:
The rename files in the CVS-subdirs look like:

Rename in CVS-dir in current dir:
renametest/test/test.txt

Rename in CVS-dir in updir:
renametest/test/test.txt