[cvsnt] Re: cvs rename - Which features wil be implemented?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Sep 8 12:41:18 BST 2004

Johannes Kilian wrote:

> So cvsnt will allow directory versioning (or better: Why do I have to
> commit directories?)

The rename information is a property of the directory not of the file,
so you commit the directory to store it.

If you just do a cvs update on the file it won't disappear under you,
you have to update the directory to get that.  It'll need to be
documented how things work thogh as it's not entirely intuitive.

> In order to get cvs rename working,  do I have to commit the directory
> where the renamed file has been residing before or the directory where
> the file is residing after rename or both directories?

Both/either, although I've not worked out the full behaviour yet.

> Is there a plan to provide something like cvs log for directories -
> showing the history of directories? Is there a possibilty to get the
> "name"-history of files? (something like: File was renamed from xxx to
> yyy on 01.01.2003 by JoK)

cvs log will print the filename that was in effect when a commit was
done.  In theory you could get a rename history but that won't be in the
first release.

> But: The RCS file is /Test/repotest/Test04/test04.txt,v and NOT
> /Test/repotest/Test04/test05.txt,v

You have to do that otherwise things like eclipse barf totally... it's a
complete fake but harmless as nobody should be accessing the RCS files
directly.