[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT : can I mix domain users & local users ?

Richard Bordoli Richard_Bordoli at sunsystems.com
Mon Sep 13 12:26:30 BST 2004

Tony,

Thanks for your reply... but I cannot get the behaviour I want since moving
from 2.0.38 to 2.0.51d.

There is a flag in control panel Advanced tab "Use local users for pserver
authentication instead of domain users" and this seems to stop the syntax I
was using in passwd from working in the 2 cases....

before upgrade, I could:
cvs passwd -a user1
[ specify password twice ]
this now creates a warning:
cvs server: *WARNING* CVS user 'cn-user' will not be able to log in until
they are aliased to a valid system user.

password has new line:
user1:<encrypted password>

I could (pre upgrade) run this:
cvs -d :pserver:user1 at server1:/path login
[ specify password ]

but now I get:
Fatal error, aborting.
cvs [login aborted]: server1: no such user

Even if I create user1 as a local windows user on server1 I cannot pserver
login as user1...

To login as user1 I have to change that advanced setting to use local users
then my normal developer logins that are setup to use the domain like this:

dev-user-1:!DOMAIN

... FAIL

Hence my email... pre upgrade this all worked so I really think something
has changed between 2.0.38 and 2.0.51d.

If you have a workaround so that I can have:
1) Most users using sspi or pserver (their choice) and being authenticated
via a windows domain controller
2) A couple of 'users' being authenticated locally on the CVS server

... I would be most interested to hear!

thanks,

-Richard.