[cvsnt] Re: Latest Updates

John Kinson cvs at yellowradio.com
Fri Sep 17 15:17:34 BST 2004

>> I'm all for the BranchName.# syntax to replace the current revision
>> numbering scheme. I'd just prefer the trunk not be named HEAD but
>> something
>> more "trunky", like TRUNK or MAIN...
>>
> I've always referred to the 'HEAD branch' and so have a lot of other
> people, so it seems it's the common usage.  It may not be the best name
> for it, but it's the name we're stuck with.
>
> Defining a different name for HEAD is one of those things that's on the
> wishlist (low priority I think though).

Just my $0.02 here (probably closer to $0.00 though...)

"HEAD branch" is a common (Cyclic) CVS misnomer, not a CVSnt term.  For
example, the TortoiseCVS Checkout Module->Revision property sheet even
lists it as the default option.

Outside of CVS as you know, HEAD usually indicates a revision, and TRUNK
or MAIN indicates the branch.  But to introduce a new (more accurate)
name for the trunk to CVSnt would probably confuse more users than it
would benefit, IMHO.

I guess this is just another of those CVS foibles that we've all come to
love :)

Cheers

JK
--