[cvsnt] Re: What's going on here? is cvs diff broken?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Sep 20 19:17:36 BST 2004

Victor A. Wagner Jr. wrote:
> I'm baffled by the following...specifically by why "cvs diff pwd.c"
> produces NO output.
> this is a paste of several cvs commands.  Any suggestions as to how
> cvsnt can exhibit this behavior would be appreciated.

It looks normal to me..

> C:\Projects\boost\tools\build\jam_src>cvs ver
> Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.51d (client/server)
> Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.16 (client/server)

The diff is produced entirely by the server, so if it isn't working it
may be better posting this on a cvshome cvs list.  However it looks OK
from what you've posted.

> C:\Projects\boost\tools\build\jam_src>cvs status pwd.c
> File: pwd.c             Status: Needs Patch

This means your local pwd.c is not modified, so the diff will produce no
output.

> C:\Projects\boost\tools\build\jam_src>cvs diff pwd.c

..and this is exactly what you see.

> C:\Projects\boost\tools\build\jam_src>cvs diff -r1.10 pwd.c

This is a diff against a different revision, so you get different results.