[cvsnt] Re: On Windows Server client: "cvs update: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password" error

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Sep 23 14:58:44 BST 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:21:10 -0700, "Jeffrey Blaze"
<jeffrey.blaze at nomissolutions.com> wrote:

>We are running WinCVS 1.3.13 clients, on top of CVSNT 2.0.8.  Our CVS server is running on Windows Server 2003.  We have a mix of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 clients.
>
>We are not having problems with the XP clients.
>
>When running WinCVS on the Windows Server clients, users can successfully log in.  However, any other operation yields the following:
>
>cvs update: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
>
>followed by:
>
>cvs [update aborted]: authorization failed: server devsource01 rejected access to /builddir for user abuilder
>
>The interesting thing is that the user abuilder is NOT the logged-in user.  abuilder is a login that was used long ago, on only one of the Windows Server clients in question.
>
>I have seen some discussion on other message boards about a file named cvspass, and password caching in general, but it does not seem to apply to the versions of WinCVS and CVSNT that we are running (and I can't find a file named cvspass not any meaningful registry settings of that name).
>
>Does anyone have an idea as to why this would be occurring.  Perhaps some other known problem regarding Windows Server<-->CVS integration would provide a hint...
>
>Thanks!
>
>Jeff

I think you are trying to use an already checked out sandbox.
In this case the use/server info is already present in the sandbox
metadata and you cannot change this by simply login etc.

Try executing your commands in an empty folder and then check out a
module anew into that.

Or use the Changeroot macro to modify the sandbox metadata.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)