[cvsnt] Re: Having problems with "cvs watch on" in CVSnt 2.0.55

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Sep 24 17:05:17 BST 2004

Dave Hux wrote:
> <>I'm fairly new to CVSnt so apologies if this is either covered
> elsewhere or should be elsewhere...
>
> I have a local repository with which I have been trying out the basic
> functionality. This contains a single module (in addition to CVSROOT)
> with a subdirectory. Initially this was being used in an 'Unreserved
> checkout' regime.
>
> Subsequently I've tried changing to a 'Reserved Checkout' regime via
> 'cvs watch on'. However this appears to only set a watch on one file in

That won't give you reserved checkouts, only notification when someone
changes the file (it'll change the files to read only, but that's
trivial to circumvent).

The closes you can get is to force reserved edits by using the -kc
option in cvswrappers (useful for things like .doc files that aren't
mergeable, although in that particular case you'd use -kbc).

You can exclusively edit a file (using edit -x) but there's no way at
present to actually force someone to do that.

As has been said many times before, If you really need reserved
checkouts then CVS may not be the right tool for you.