[cvsnt] Re: Problem with post install custom action

Casey Schmit cschmit at winternals.com
Fri Apr 8 16:27:47 BST 2005

It is not a permissions problem.  I had no 'access denied''s in my filemon
trace.  I'm not sure if you read through the entire message, but it appears
to be an installer problem.  When you run the RunPostInst custom action, it
is being extracted to a temp directory and run from there(which is exactly
what the documentation says it will do).  This is because it is a type 2
custom action.  If you change it to a type 18 custom action, it uses the
postinst.exe installed in the <program files>\CVSNT directory and works as
expected.  (you also have to change the source to postinst.exe from
Postinst.exe).  The log items in my message actually show this.

It is also not a permissions issue becasue the problem doesn't show up if
the 7.1 runtime DLL's are in the system directory.  It is executing
postinst.exe in a different directory than you are expecting it to, but it
is a simple change to resolve.  I tested the suggested change on 2K3 and it
worked like a champ.  I'm pulling down XP images also and will verify the
fix on those OS's as well.

I'm trying to convince folks at my work place to to move to CVSNT from VSS.
Having an install that doesn't complete, even if it is 'OK', doesn't inspire
a lot of confidence in the product.  Admittedly, I've given up on products
when they didn't install, but I really want this to work.

Thanks,

Casey

news:d346ma$gs6$1 at paris.nodomain.org...