[cvsnt] Re: permissions 444;

Clóvis Garcia clovis at phoebus.com.br
Thu Apr 14 12:56:14 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Clóvis Garcia wrote:
>
>> I have no AV on my server. Answer me a question: Is there a
>> possibility of a new implementation of WinCvs been using this
>> permission? This problem started to happen just after I´ve changed
>> both WinCvs and cvsnt (local). Besides that I´ve noticed the changes
>> in permission tag (old projects are all with permission with the value
>> 666). I´ve already checked everything you said about watch, edit, ...
>> but everythings is as it was supposed to be.
>

> I create a few files with permissions of 444, and have been doing
> various things with them... they always come back read/write as expected.
>
> It's actually quite hard to create a read only permission line - it
> implies someine edited a file, made it read only then committed it,
> which is pretty rare (I'm not at all sure even that's enough to do it).
>  All the examples I had were from -kc and -kx tests which are always
> read only anyway... took some hand editing to create a test set.
>
> Tony

I imported a new folder (TEST) with 2 TXT files, downloaded it in two
different work directories. I changed one of the files in both
directories, commited in one of them and tried to update the other. I´ve
got this message:

cvs -q -x update -P -- tips.txt (in directory X:\pos\TEST\)
RCS file: /Pos/TEST/tips.txt,v
retrieving revision 1.1
retrieving revision 1.2
Merging differences between 1.1 and 1.2 into tips.txt
cvs [server aborted]: cannot create tips.txt for copying: Permission denied

I tried the trace and I´ve got this message:

cvs -t -t -t -q -x update -P -- tips.txt (in directory X:\pos\TEST\)
\n (in directory X:\pos\TEST)
   -> Tracelevel set to 3.  PID is 408
   -> Session ID is 198425e55404770
   -> main loop with CVSROOT=:sspi;username=clovis;hostname=192.168.1.1:/Pos
   -> Encryption enabled
   -> Requesting server cvsignore
   -> wrap_add(*.gif -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.pdf -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.bmp -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.jpg -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.jpeg -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.png -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.exe -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.dll -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.so -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.a -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.pdb -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.lib -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.o -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.res -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.class -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.ogg -kb, 0, 0)
   -> wrap_add(*.mp3 -kb, 0, 0)
   -> Requesting server cvswrappers
   -> Requesting server cvsrc (read-cvsrc2)
   -> Parsing global cvsrc started
   -> Parsing global cvsrc finished
cvs [update aborted]: Absolute pathname `X:\\pos\\TEST\\)
' not allowed

Is this useful for you? Should I look for the problem with the cvsgui team?

Thanks a lot,

Clovis