[cvsnt] cvs [server aborted]: can't create temporary directory

Magyar, Thomas J. CIV NAVAIR thomas.magyar at navy.mil
Mon Apr 18 20:31:35 BST 2005

Hello,

On the local machine that has CVSNT installed (WindowsXP Professional), I'm trying to setup pserver access for other, remote computers on our 5-computer standalone network setup.

I am getting the error message below when trying to enter commands based on the CVSNT Intallation Tips document in section 4.6 (http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationTips). I have cvsroot set as:

set cvsroot=:pserver:<castle-winserv>:/Root

Then, get the error when I try:

cvs passwd -r accountname -a username

------------
cvs [server aborted]: can't create temporary directory C:\CVSTemp/cvs-serv2444:
Permission denied

I get similiar errors when I try other commands. The cvs-serv**** is always different.

I read in the archives a couple years back that this was do to the use of the preference "Simple file sharing" checked. I have this unchecked. What I too have verified is that the Guest account on this machine is the one being used to try to create this "C:\CVSTemp/cvs-****" directory. If I disable the guest account, then the error changes to:

cvs [passwd aborted]: authorization failed: server castle-winserv rejected access to /Root

Possible additional and/or unrelated info...I have created a 'passwd' file in the repository in the CVSROOT subdirectory. This password file only currently contains the name of the administrator account that I am using to test this setup ('wizard'). I also placed an empty '.passwd' file in the "C:\Documents and Settings\Wizard" directory. I've read all tihs from the links in the Getting Started section of http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/ .

Anything I am missing or need to change/fix? Thanks!

Tom