[cvsnt] Installation problems with 1927

Dennis Forcier dforcier at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 21 21:54:07 BST 2005

Problems experienced during Server installation, Windows 2000 Pro with
SP2, logged in as Administrator.

First (Typical) installation was to drive D:.  (I'd prefer it there, as
that's a RAID drive.)

* At the end of the installation process, I got an error screen saying
[paraphrase] "A program didn't complete successfully.  You system was
not changed.  Try again."  The system was indeed changed; everything
seemed to have been installed, and the services were running.  Ran
Repair just to be sure.

* Repository initialization would not run.  The Control Panel kept
looking for cvs on drive C:.  Running the -init option on the command
line seemed to work.  I hope that's all that is involved in repository
initialization.

Second (Custom) installation was to drive C: just to be sure there
would be no further location problems (and to back out of using sspi):

* Same error message at the end of the installation process.  Ran
Repair again.

* Choosing protocols at installation time is confusing.  Installation
works afaict, but there is no explanation on the install options panel
(nor any decent explanation anywhere in the docs that I have been able
to find) about what they do, and when each is appropriate.  You *need*
a sentence or two for each on the installation screen.

* Repository initialization ran okay.

* I hate the naming of the Windows services.  Because of the way the
Services Management plug-in opens, with a relatively narrow services
name column, there's no way to tell which is the main server and which
is the lock server without fiddling with the display.  The first thing
I do after installation is rename the services.  Why would I care more
about the build level than about which server it is?  That looks like a
developer conceit.

Still struggling with remote access from WSAD 5.1.0 (Eclipse 2.1.1),
but I'm fairly certain it's an access problem. Accessing a sourceforge
project from within WSAD works well with an (older) CVSNT client, so at
this point I'm fairly assured that I haven't set up the user access
correctly.

BTW, the error from within WSAD is "No such repository".  CVSNT server
is replying because I get a "Say what?" error when I point at a machine
without it.  Is "No such repository" a CVSNT error message?  And if so,
why doesn't it say something more along the lines of "Access Denied"
instead of "No Such Thing"?  Or does it point to some other problem?

TIA for any help.

DMF

DMF