[cvsnt] Installation problems with 1927

Dennis Forcier dforcier at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 24 18:09:09 BST 2005

>The control panel looks in the installation directory.  There's no
>particular reliance on any drive or directory, since you can't

Nevertheless, it happened.  And there's no need to guess about the
symptome since the Init process in the control panel displays the
command it's trying to execute, which was
c:[install path]cvs ... -init
even though cvs was installed on d:.
Does it get the install location out of the PATH environment variable?
Maybe that was munged.  If it was it's fine now.  But maybe the
re-install to C: fixed it.  If I get ambitious I'll try re-installing
to D:.  I trust that move won't affect an active repository?

>As far as the error message at the end... occurs in Win2003 but is
>harmless.  MSI puts it up *after* the install has actually finished,
>long after it could have done anything about any errors.

Thanks.  That fits the evidence.  (Also happens on Win2000 with the
Installer upgrade.)  A readme to that effect would sure be nice.

>> when I use services management, and it hides the info I need.

>Huh?  I can count the number of times I've been into that screen in one
>hand.  Just double click on the header if it's that much of an issue.
>
>OTOH it *does* matter for error checking if something fails - people
>have the habit of posting error messages verbatim.

Well, for the sake of those of us who do use the management services,
please append the version string to the other text. <g>

Thanks

DMF