[cvsnt] Import Question

MM markem at asu.edu
Mon Apr 25 18:40:11 BST 2005

Import does not seem to be working as I expected.

A while back, I imported a source distribution:

cvs import -m "Initial import" Project/Source Vendor Release1

It seemed to work just fine. We've modified several of the files since
then on the Vendor branch. Now we've received a new release and I want to
import it but keep our changes. Based on the manual, I tried:

cvs import -m "New release" Project/Source Vendor Release2

I expected it to flag conflicts on the files we've updated but instead it
just adds the new file as another revision and ignores our changes. That
is, if the file we changed was at 1.1.1.4, it simply adds a 1.1.1.5 that
is the file from the new release without our changes and without flagging
a conflict. For files that are unchanged, it leaves the revision
unchanged and just adds the Release2 tag,as I expected.

Is something not right here or have I misunderstood how it works?

I'm using CVSNT 2.0.58d on a WinXP Pro/SP2 box and Wincvs for a client.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated...