[cvsnt] Sharing the server

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Tue Apr 26 16:30:31 BST 2005

> From: Dennis Forcier [mailto:dforcier at mindspring.com]
> One of the (semi-official?) "How to set up CVS" documents says to
> install CVSNT on its own server.  Not entirely clear why but
> it appears
> to suggest loading sensitivity.  Someone want to comment on this?
>
> In my own case, I'm in a low-volume (currently non-production)
> environment with only one RAID.  On that machine lives the database
> server (DB2 Ent.), an application server (Websphere), Apache, and
> CVSNT.  Dual PIII/850 with 768 MB.  Am I asking for trouble?

Depends *how* low-volume :-).  Here's a benchmark: our CVSNT server is a
2GHz P4, 1GByte RAM, but it's also running MS Exchange, MS SQL Server,
AVG7 (with real-time scanning disabled on Exchange data files, SQL data
files, and CVS repository and temp).  Four developers, several hundred
files across a dozen or so modules.  We've had no issues at all in just
under 2 years of operation.  It grinds on adding Yet Another Revision of
some large MS Access files, but it sounds like that's not uncommon.

		- Peter