[cvsnt] Re: When is the best time(s) to merge changes into the main trunk?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Apr 27 06:38:52 BST 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:57:57 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:24:59 +0100, "James Neave"
><JNeave at spursolutions.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking about doing it every time I make a change to the patches
>>branch, that way I won't have lots to do when a new release is due.
>
>If you do this you might as well just work on TRUNK, you are
>effectively not using the branch the way you describe it...

Adding to the comment above...

What we do is this:
We assign a branch to the sources whenever there is new feature stuff
that needs developing over some time. During that time things may also
happen on TRUNK (normal bugfixes and small enhancements).

So in order to keep the merging job small and to have all new stuff on
the branch we continuously merge in from HEAD to the branch to get the
latest state of TRUNK into the branch. We can then solve any conflicts
on the branch.
Later when the feature is ready to be introduced we just merge down
the branch to HEAD and this is typically trivial since the branch
already contains the HEAD code.

Our builds are done from HEAD, but the result (the binary exe or dll
file) is not committed to the bin folder until tested and approved. We
keep the bin folder on a branch for the rare cases when we want to
version intermediate binary states.
The installer gets built from exports out of the bin folder using
HEAD.