[cvsnt] discard garbage revisions and create new 'latest' based onold tag.

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Apr 27 14:56:24 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

>This is very easy for you since you do have a tag to go against. :-)
>Basically you use the update with merge command as follows:
>
>cvs update -j BranchName -j OldTagname
>
>then of course:
>
>cvs commit -m"Reverted code to tag OldTagName"
>
>See also here:
>http://cvsgui.sourceforge.net/newfaq.htm#reversion
>and here:
>http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#The%20Fast%20Method%20Of%20Reverting
>
>/Bo

-thanks Bo, that helps.
-can you explain the 2 -j's optin more:
-what if i use 2 tags and not a branch and a tag.
-what get's merged to where, since it can be any given old tags ? to
-where will the merge result be commited ?
-
-Assaf

Nothing gets committed at all, this is something you have to do yourself after
getting the changes merged into your sandbox files.
The operation is done on a valid sandbox, this means that you have already
your files inside the sandbox. I assumed that the sandbox contained the files
on the branch you are working on, so after the update you are left with the
same sandbox but now with the files modified by applying a reverse diff from
the tip of the branch back to the tagged revisions.
This nullifies all committed edits between the tag and the tip. But once you
are satisfied with the files you have to commit these new revisions to the
server in the normal way.