update -j -kk (was RE: [cvsnt] Re: Corrupted Word Doc)

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Apr 27 22:48:31 BST 2005

David Hauck wrote:
>>I've never used -kk with merging, never needed it and AKAICT haven't had
>>any ill effect by not using it.  Is it because you're using $Log$ (it's
>>known to have merge problems) or some other reason?
>

> No, we use $Revision$ (sometimes $Id$ - we never use $Log$) and without -kk
> I often get merge conflicts on this line when the file in question has
> changed on both the to and from branches. You seem to be indicating that the
> update merge should be able to handle this without -kk?

No, I was just plain wrong.  Now that you and Matt mention it
specifically, I do remember getting conflicts on $Id$ lines, I just
pretty much ignored them and moved on (the Tortoise conflict resolution
with WinMerge handles it easily).

I certainly agree there should be some better solution, but I don't know
what it is.  Falling back to the "it's not recommended to commit
binaries" doesn't really work in practice in a lot of cases.

Tony, do you have some recommendation for this?

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett