[cvsnt] Re: Migration from WinCvs to CVSNT

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Apr 27 22:55:45 BST 2005

mihernandez at glazers.com wrote:
> Shortly we will be moving our web development repositories from WinCvs 1.2
> running on Windows XP to a Windows Server 2003 box.  Is CVSNT the correct
> software to use? Can existing repositories be transferred from the Windows
> XP box directly to a server running CVSNT?

In a word, Yes.

--Make sure your new server is set up properly with a test repository
for your clients.

--Have them checkin pending changes and release their sandboxes (or use
the "update cvs\Root file method")

--Backup your repository files

--Set up a new repository on the new server (you can copy things into an
existing repository too, just saying new to keep it clean).

--Copy the old repository files to the new one except for the CVSROOT.
Only pull over the CVSROOT files you want (e.g. History).  You can pull
over all of them, but the new version of CVSNT might have additional
comments in the admin files.

--Turn off CVS on the old server (or rename the repository directory)

--Update the cvs\Root file if you want to keep your existing sandboxes.

I don't think I forgot anything, but you might want to search to be sure :)

--
Glen Starrett