[cvsnt] Migration from WinCvs to CVSNT

Czarnowski, Aric aczarnowski at unimax.com
Thu Apr 28 15:21:14 BST 2005

> Shortly we will be moving our web development repositories
> from WinCvs 1.2 running on Windows XP to a Windows Server
> 2003 box.  Is CVSNT the correct software to use? Can existing
> repositories be transferred from the Windows XP box directly
> to a server running CVSNT?

I think there is some fundamental confusion here.  WinCVS is a GUI front
end to a CVS or CVSNT server that is already running somewhere else.
Nothing could be running under WinCVS on the WinXP box...

Assuming that you have a CVSNT server running on that current WinXP box,
yes, you can simply install CVSNT on the new Win2003 server and copy the
repository from the WinXP box over to the new location on the Win2003
box.

Outstanding sandboxes will need updates for the switch since the server
PC name and directory structure might end up being different.  Best to
commit everything from everywhere and then release all sandboxes before
moving.

--Aric

Aric Czarnowski
Unimax Systems Corporation