[cvsnt] Re: Moving from CVS to CVSNT - tips?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Aug 2 20:58:52 BST 2005

Steve wrote:
> At the moment, all I'm looking for is advice on how to transfer our
> repository from CVS to CVSNT, pitfalls to consider, etc.

The repository is compatible in that you can just use your cvs
repository with cvsnt and it (should) all work OK.

> (Am I right in thinking this is a one way trip - once we're up and running
> with CVSNT, there's no going back to plain CVS?)

It's probably still technically possible, but quite difficult I'd imagine.

Try it first on a backup of your main repository and see how you get on..

Renaming is pretty quirky (still marked as experimental) although it
does work provided you don't try to move files around with it - I find I
have to update a couple of times before the client works out what's
going on... the cvsnt repository itself has many renamed files on it (.c
to .cpp mostly).

2.6.x will fix that (and allow directory rename) but it'll be a major
upgrade & won't be stable for a while yet.