[cvsnt] CVSNT 2.5.01 #1976 - 'cvs history' problems - 'No records selected'

Thomas Singer cvsnt at smartcvs.com
Thu Aug 18 12:36:17 BST 2005

> What would be the point of running that command though?

We understood the 'cvs history' documentation that way, that we can use it
to get a list of added, removed or changed files since a certain date
relatively fast. SmartCVS just uses this information to launch an rlog
command for the effected directories, because running an rlog command on the
whole repository (or the whole project) often is extremely slow (expensive
operation on the server side).

> History *will* lose records on a busy server, so you can't rely on it.

This is the first time I read that - is this a CVSNT "feature" or also valid
for GNU CVS? Taking a look at the quasi-standard documentation Cederqvist
(http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.11.20/cvs_16.html#SEC138) I can't find
information, that one cannot rely on the output of the 'cvs history' command
(I know, that one can run the server without keeping the history, but this
is a different story).

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer